Table of Contents
Is Mayo in Northern Ireland?
Mayo, Irish Maigh Eo (“Plain of the Yew Trees”), county in the province of Connaught, western Ireland. Mayo is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean (north and west) and by Counties Sligo (northeast), Roscommon (east), and Galway (southeast and south).
Is Tyrone more Catholic or Protestant?
Demography. It is one of four counties in Northern Ireland which currently has a majority of the population from a Catholic community background, according to the 2011 census. In 1900 County Tyrone had a population of 197,719, while in 2011 it was 177,986.
What does Tyrone mean in Irish?
The name Tyrone is primarily a male name of Irish origin that means From The Land Of The Yew Tree. Tyrone Power, actor. Originally meaning “From the land of Eoghan” where Eoghan referred to the Yew Tree.
What’s the smallest county in Ireland?
Louth, Irish Lú, county, in the province of Leinster, northeastern Ireland. The smallest county in area in Ireland, it is bounded by Northern Ireland (north), the Irish Sea (east), County Meath (south and west), and County Monaghan (northwest).
How many people live in Fintona, Northern Ireland?
Fintona ( / ˈfɪntənə /; from Irish: Fionntamhnach, meaning “bright clearing”) is a village and townland in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. Its 2013 population is calculated at 1,423.
What was the population of Fintona in 1841?
In 1841 the population of Fintona was 1327 with another 7980 people living in the surrounding hinterland of the civil parish of Donacavey. However the effects of the Irish Famine of the 1840s meant that by 1851, the population in the village rose to 1504 with the population in the rest of Donacavey falling to 5972.
Where is Fintona in the district of Fermanagh?
For local government elections (to elect councillors to Fermanagh and Omagh District Council), Fintona lies within the West Tyrone District Electoral Area along with Dromore, Drumquin, Trillick, Seskinore and Newtownsaville.
What was the name of the railway station in Fintona?
There were two stations, Fintona (open 5 June 1853) and Fintona Junction (open 1 May 1856). Connecting the two stations was a horse-drawn tram which took passengers from the village to Fintona Junction railway station which was a stop on the Londonderry and Enniskillen Railway which itself was part of the Great Northern Railway.